Porcelains tiles are man-made products to provide supply to all customers that require low maintenance home or commercial tiles, while still providing a luxurious, industrial or anti-slip resistant product to a specific customer needs, porcelains are very common tiles in the building industry, they are manufactured from clay soil. A high temperature and pressure is applied to porcelain clay base, they then become very strong, durable with extremely low water absorption rate.
There are different types of porcelain tiles within the industry, however generally they are divided into 2 groups as:
- Glazed porcelain tiles
- Unglazed porcelain tiles
Glazed porcelain tiles are the most common types where a coating similar to glass is applied to the surface and on this surface many designs that we commonly came to recognise within the market can then be applied to their top surface.
Unglazed tiles however, are more superior in high traffic areas, as they are denser however, they inevitably have limited colour options and are more susceptible to staining.
The Main Features of Porcelain Tiles
Porcelain tiles are used all over the world from residential to commercial applications and below are some of their main features:
- Porcelain tiles are very durable and more resistant to impacts than other materials to to the developed manufacturing techniques.
- They are resistant and durable to sudden temperature changes, with most porcelains being OK to be used outdoors as majority of porcelains are manufactured to be frost proof.
- They have a non-porous structure and surface which means staining them is almost impossible.
- Porcelain tiles can be designed to be extremely anti-slip for added safety for external applications.
- They are easy to clean, require little maintenance and resistant to acidic chemicals compared to natural stone tiles.
- Porcelain tiles are the perfect choice for underfloor heating as once they are warm, it takes longer time to lose their heat than other types of flooring like real wood or carpets.
- Glazed porcelain tiles can imitate almost any other type of flooring thanks to advance printing techniques.
Where Porcelain Tiles are Used?
Porcelain tiles are used almost anywhere, here are some places:
- Porcelain tiles in bathrooms: Porcelain material is a suitable choice for bathrooms as it is resistant to water. Additionally ease of cleaning is a plus. Textured finishes (for example R11) are available if you wish to have a total slip resistant floor in wet areas.
- Porcelain tiles in kitchens: Kitchens are one of the most common places where porcelain tiles are used. Again, as they are almost water proof, they can be used on the floors or walls (as splashback tiles). Having many design and colour options are another reason that porcelain tiles are one of the most common types of flooring in the kitchens.
- Outdoors: If you have a patio area, many customers use the same porcelain floor tiles from kitchen to outdoor areas for a seamless design. As porcelain tiles are frostproof, they can be used outdoors for many years to come. At the same time if your patio area is not concrete, there are 20mm porcelain tile options that can be used over pedestals or sand & cement.
Prices of Porcelain Tiles
The prices of porcelain tiles vary according to the product, finish and size. However, you can be certain that Stone Deals bring you the best quality products at the most competitive prices.
Once you like a product, please order a free sample in a couple of steps and you are done. We will deliver a small tile sample (generally 10x10cm) to your door to check the colour. But please keep in mind that the samples may not represent the whole tile, we recommend asking us up to date photos in order to decide if the tiles will match to your project. Once you decide on a tile, you can order online or over the phone and we will deliver to your door quickly and hassle free.